Sunday, February 26, 2012

Bright Shiny Objects

Shiny steel. Cleanliness. Order. Predictability. A little friendliness and basic courtesy. These are small things. However, they seem to be all I need to feel secure. The reality is that my citizenship gains me no more rights in Frankfurt, Germany than it does in Libreville, Gabon. But my heart, my spirit, my senses... they all respond as though there's a different reality.

Citizenship itself is still but a shallow and temporary security. Real security is found in another citizenship; not of the republic indivisible, but of the Kingdom invisible. I am never without this security, always completely held tight as the guarded and treasured property of the One and only Almighty. Yet, my heart rejoices in a cheap substitute. Just being honest.

Shiny steel. Cleanliness. Order. Predictability. A little friendliness and basic courtesy. Is that really all I need? Or is there something more?

"He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep
in order to gain what he cannot lose."
Jim Elliott

No comments: