Monday, February 23, 2015

Joseph and the Hand of Providence

Yesterday I began a series on Joseph. I've known the story--the coat and all--for most of my life. By the time I outgrew the flannel board, Andrew Lloyd Webber was there for me and I sang along to the catchy tunes. 

But I'm not sure I ever really paid attention to his life.

It's fascinating that the biblical record of Joseph contains no recording of sinful behavior. That doesn't mean that he was sinless, of course, but the fact that his character doesn't contain some fatal flaw or notoriously poor decision is fascinating in light of his life. Sold into slavery by his brothers, hauled off to a foreign country, serving as a slave, tempted and then accused of sexual sin, tossed into jail for over a decade... Why? God's hand and God's plan. Providence.

In my heart of hearts, I know that God doesn't repay our evil with evil and our good with good. However, this karmic idea is so deeply infused in our culture (even, and maybe especially, our Christian culture) that when bad things happen, I immediately look inside my own life for the cause. What an arrogant, ridiculous way to see the world. 

Could it be that the plan of God is bigger than my individual comfort and happiness?

What a shocking idea. Joseph was faithful, and for large chunks of his life, everything stunk. That wasn't the punishment of God or the justice of God--it was the grace of God in the time of God.

I take comfort from Joseph's life. When I'm confused or feeling beaten up, the question that I need to ask is not "What have I done to deserve this?" Rather, the question is simply "What is God doing?" The  Almighty and sovereign God is at work, and His plan is larger than my small view of the world. 

No comments: