Saturday, February 28, 2015

Living in this Season


So, I grilled food today. Yep, in the snow. While it was about 20 degrees.


Note the snow all around the grills. Note the footprints which indicate that I needed to clear the snow off the grills before I could light them.


And note the smile on my face (and the burgers in the background) while I grilled in my puffy ski jacket and my hat. Makes perfect sense.

What in the world was I thinking?

Well, I wanted to eat, first of all. But secondly, the sun was out today. Sure, the temperature didn't get any higher than about 31, but the sun was out. And that got me ready to grill. 

Don't get me wrong- I love winter. I'm not one of those who complain about the cold from October to March. I love the cold, and would be glad for several more months of the white stuff. So what's my issue?

Grill season starts in the spring. It's winter right now. Spring is what's next. I like winter well enough, but I'm already in the midst of winter- now I'm looking ahead to spring, because it's next. And here's my true confession: I'm terrible at waiting for what's next. I'm always looking ahead; daydreaming about what's still to come; looking into the next day, the next week, or the next season. I have several key aspects of my life planned for next year already. Seriously, that's sick.

Why is it such a big deal? The problem is that I so rarely stop to enjoy what's now because I'm so focused on what's next. That's not just because I'm pushing the clock on spring...

...This season with our kids is precious and we're never going to live it again, so we should engage it. I shouldn't just wish it away thinking about the next phase of life.

...The person that I'm listening to right now isn't just a stepping stone to the next conversation- they are valuable in and of themselves.

...The next position, the next promotion, the next team, the next series... None of which are guaranteed to be better than the current. However, even if they were, I can't get to them yet. I might as well enjoy life right where I am.

And that doesn't even consider the next gadget, the next car, the next phone, the next house, the next relationship, the next meal, etc. etc. The list could go on forever.

So how do I enjoy the moment? 

Be thankful. I'm learning to intentionally thank God for the opportunities of each moment instead of just pushing toward the next. 

Be otherward. If I'm more concerned about the people around me than I am about myself, I'm more likely to remain in the moment. I don't know what's next for them.

Be satisfied. This is maybe the single biggest lesson that I constantly need to relearn... Once I finish this meal, I'll be hungry again. As soon as I get the latest gadget, the next one will come out. The next position is great until the one above comes into view- after that, there's a new goal.

And, yes, once I finally make it to spring, I'll be looking toward summer. 

Nothing on this earth will fully satisfy me, so I need to stop thinking that I'll someday gain the ultimate joy and simply enjoy the moment that I'm in. 

I want to learn to live satisfied with each and every moment, not just looking forward to what's next. 

For today, I got to grill in the snow. I'm glad it wasn't sunny and 60 degrees- there will be time for that in a month or two. For today, I'm going to embrace the cold of winter. It can only help me truly appreciate the coming of spring.





No comments: