Monday, March 09, 2015

An Invitation

I sometimes have a hard time knowing how to relate to God.

I know I'm not supposed to say that as a pastor, but it's the truth. He is so... Almighty...and I'm so...not. Should I be happy and full of joy because of redemption? Yes. Should I be sorrowful and repentant due to sin? Yes. Should I engage Him as my Friend, who longs to hear the most intimate thoughts of my heart? Yes. Should I "hallow" His Name, as the prayer says, remembering that He is transcendent and eternal, and my life is like grass? Yes, that too.

As you can see, it can get quite confusing.

That's where the ancient flow of the liturgy can be so life-giving. I know there are many who hear the word "liturgy" and immediately imagine dry repetitions and stoic services, but the heart of the liturgy is far more. In its essence, it's a pathway we can use to approach God. Through the flow of the liturgy, we engage both the intimacy and the transcendency of God; we mourn for our sin and rejoice in our redemption. And we do it with one another.

Over the next week, I'd like to meditate on the flow of the liturgy. Each day will represent a part of this ancient tool, beginning today with Invitation, flowing through to Sunday and Celebration. These likely won't contain much in terms of the liturgy itself, but rather, thoughts about the form and how we are invited to approach God.

It's fitting to begin with invitation because the approach to God was never meant to be a solo activity. Rather, we are invited (and we're inviting others) onto a path that has been steadily trod for nearly 2,000 years. The invitation is a way of saying: "I'm going to meet with God--come with me!" For some of us, we're thankful for a guide because we have no idea where we're going. In the liturgy, there is security in the millions who have gone before us. For others, we are excited to have the opportunity to lead others into the presence of God. In the liturgy, we have a path with markers pointing the right direction, just in case we get lost. 

And so, you're invited. Come on, let's journey together.

1 comment:

Steve said...

Let's do this!