Tuesday, March 03, 2015

Unproductive on Purpose

On the first Tuesday of every month, I lead our staff to be as unproductive as possible.

That might seem, on the surface to be a bad idea. Maybe a really bad idea. Maybe the kind of idea that will get one fired, or at the very least, get a firm reprimand.

However, I can honestly say that hasn't been one other single decision that I've made as a leader within our little church organization that has brought even close to as much benefit as this one has. 

Each month, we close down the office for one day: we let the phones go to voicemail, we leave our to-do lists on our desk, we cancel all of our appointments, and we practice the Sabbath. We rest together. We worship together. We pray together. We laugh with each other, and now and then, at each other. But most of all, we remember why we're doing what we're doing.

I'm a firm believer that one of the easiest ways to end up walking away from faith is by entering into a vocational role based on that faith--the church itself maybe being the most dangerous of those roles. So when, five years ago, I stepped into this role of Lead Pastor, I determined that we were going to watch out for each other. We were going to make sure that ministry didn't drive us away from Jesus. We were going to ensure that serving Him didn't get in the way of loving Him. At that's what our staff Sabbath is all about.

It's nothing fancy or impressive--our pastoral team passes responsibility around, month to month, for leading the rest of us in worship and prayer. Sometimes those times are well-thought out and well structured, as was today's. Other times, such as when it's my month to lead, they are a bit more scattered and emphasize resting in our own personal ways. Some months we take some time to play games or watch movies. Some months they are a bit heavier and more focused. However, they always lead us clearly back to Jesus. We remember, at least once each month, that He truly is worthy of all of our lives. We remember, despite the current crises, the difficult relationships, or this week's pain-in-the-rear-end issue, that Jesus is worth it. 

What has been the result? After almost five years of making this a monthly discipline, I've never worked with a team that I enjoy working with more than this one. One of our staff members remarked to me today that our staff is a place where she can share anything that's on her heart at any time: not just ministry struggles, but family challenges, heart issues, doubts, fears, and any other kind of life issue that might come up. We've become like a family to her. And I totally agree.

And so next month we'll stop again. We'll turn off the phones, and we'll turn our hearts toward Jesus and His love for us. One of my mantras, stolen from C.J. Mahaney, is that "the main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing." I don't know if there's anywhere that's a more difficult challenge than in full-time ministry. 

So I'm glad for a day to do nothing. I'm pretty sure it was the most productive thing I could have done today.

No comments: