Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A Stage of the Giro, and the God who Is...

I know this is a day late, but here's the update from yesterday (that would be Tuesday, for all who are keeping track...)

We started out the day in Venice. Getting on and off of Venice, because it's an island, is not easy or cheap. However, we did finally make it, camper in all. It was supposed to be our first day of riding, but because our days early on mirror the Giro so closely, our getting a late start made it very difficult to ride. So, we just drove towards our camp, which was also driving toward the Giro.

First of all, it's AMAZING how many people ride the Giro course! I don't mean the "professional" cyclists - I mean the "followers" like us! We probably saw AT LEAST 600 cyclists. Here's a shot of a few of the bikes that were stashed at the end of the race from the spectators...
We watched the end of the race, which was actually surprisingly exciting! I've never seen a professional bike race live, so I was surprised how close we were to the riders. In fact, here's a shot from about two feet away from Lance Armstrong!

But the big thing from the day was the beauty - check out the scene of the race.
It really strikes me: when you see things like this, it may be one of the most powerful proofs for the existence of God. Not so much a complete revelation of who God is and who Jesus is, but rather, a display that God must BE. If not, why would the beauty of the earth be so - beautiful? A worldview that says everything is progressing towards it's most useful can't really make sense of this kind of beauty still existing billions of years into the existence of the planet. Why is it there? It must somehow point to the One who made it. For me, I saw more of God in the creation today than I ever had, which I know will make my friend Mark very happy...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Since you are a father, I'm just guessing that's one of the other super proofs that God exists. You should read "Sacred Romance" by John Eldridge. Great book and exactly about seeing God's hand in everything around you.

Brian said...

I've read it, and like it. Yes, the childbirth thing is certainly another amazing process. Incredible! Thanks for the comment.

poop said...

I am very happy for you! When I ride I am so amazed that I can witness God's testimony through nature. How can you look at that mountian, those people and say there is no God!
consequently did you get me Lance Armstrong's autograph? Amanda sent me some pic's and I loved them.
I am praying for you and Mario and Juan Carlos that God will continue to reveal himself to you!